After I made an update about my Schengen visa on Facebook; I received a lot of inquiries from my friends on how I got my visa. How to process the application? What are the requirements? How much did I spent? Where should they start?
I decided to make this post to answer all their queries.
I lodged my Schengen visa application after my boyfriend flew back to Denmark. We were supposed to lodge it while he was still here but the lady handling us at the VFS ( Visa Facilitation Services ) didn’t accept it. She advised us to lodge the application 3 months before the intended flight which is in 2 days. I went back to the VFS Cebu in Keppel last July 08, 2016 to lodge my Schengen visa application. The lady said I can get the result after 3-14 days.
The type of visa I applied for was Visit Other Relatives/Friends; I ticked Boyfriend/Girlfriend. These are the general requirements:
- Schengen Visa Application Form – completely filled up and signed.
- Download application form
Schengen Area includes 26 European countries. These are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
- One passport size photo with white background and not older than 6 months – edited photos is not accepted. Paste your photo (do not staple) in the designated space of the Schengen visa application form.
- Original passport – must be valid for at least three months after the departure from Schengen. Valid passport must have at least two unused pages.
- Photocopy of original Passport – bio page and used pages (with stamps and visas)
I’ve been to five countries in Asia already (Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Brunei) this is my first time to apply for a visa; there’s no need for a Filipino to apply visa to travel around Southeast Asian countries.
- Proof of relationship – if visiting a relative, NSO certified Birth Certificates of applicant and reference person/s. If boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance, documentation of how much both parties have spent time together (e.g photos, photocopies of passport pages with arrival and departure stamps of host)
I prepared like a scrapbook of our photos from the first time we met until he went back to Denmark last July. It took forever for me to retrieve thousands of pictures we had; from selfies, to group pictures of my friends and relatives. I came up with 4 pages of collage pictures but the VFS lady picked only one 🙂 I should’ve listened to my boyfriend not to make too much…
- Photocopy of the passport of the sponsor – If sponsor is not Nordic Citizen, include a copy of his/her valid residence permit.
- VU2 Form (recommended) OR Letter of Invitation – Download VU2 form. Letter of invitation should include the following information: the full address and contacts of the inviting person/s, the person who will bear your travel and living costs (if applicable).
My boyfriend chose to fill up the VU2 form, he vouched me financially for my entire stay and travel in Denmark. He didn’t have to show bank certificate and bank statement.
- Original Bank Certificate of the Applicant – should be submitted if the inviting person will not financially support your stay. Applicant is required to have DKK 350/day. The requirement could be reduced if he/she already paid the lodging or boarding in advance or will stay with the inviting person in Denmark.
I submitted a bank certificate only; I forgot to ask for a bank statement. I requested the bank certificate at the BPI branch in Ayala on the same day I passed all the requirements to the VFS. It took only less than an hour, for the bank to prepare for the certificate and it cost 100 pesos. The amount of money in my account was less than 50 thousand pesos. 🙂
- Photocopy of round-trip flight reservation – please note; it is not required to pay for/buy the ticket until a visa has been granted.
I let my classmate in high school who works in Qatar airways make a reservation for me so that I don’t have to pay 350-500 pesos to the agency.
- Photocopy of Travel Medical Insurance – which can be applied from any accredited insurance company; should be valid for all Schengen states; and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30,000/PHP 2.5M/USD 50,000
I used Malayan Insurance Company Inc. Travel Master Global it cost PHP 4,785 they are the cheapest of all the accredited insurance company.
- Photocopy of your previous passports for the past 3 years – bio page and used pages (if applicable)
- Photocopy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- If currently employed – submit Certificate of Employment station position, length of service, salary, and duration of approved leave of absence, photocopy of company ID and pay slips for the 3 months.
- If Self-employed: Corporation – Photocopies of SEC registration with attached present Articles of Incorporation and Personal Income. Single Proprietorship – Photocopies of Business Name Registration Certificate from DTI and latest Income Tax Statement.
I submitted a photocopy of business registration from DTI for my guesthouse in Cebu called Hey Fellas. I applied for it online on the day before I submitted my visa application. I didn’t have income tax statement. 🙂
- If currently a Student – submit certification of enrollment from the school and school ID. If you will be going on a holiday during summer break, submit a certification of reservation or certificate of enrollment to prove that you are enrolled for the next school year/semester. If travelling during school year, a certificate of leave of absence from school should also be submitted.
- Hotel Bookings – If applicant will not stay in reference person’s home address and if with side trips to other Schengen countries
- Photocopies of own means and properties (if applicable) – land titles or car certificate of registration with an official receipt.
On the 11th of July, I received an SMS and an email from the VFS that they already forwarded my application to the Denmark embassy in Manila. Last 28th of July, I received another SMS and an email from the VFS that my application has been endorsed to the Denmark visa application center in Cebu. I got too excited to know the result, around 2pm I went to the VFS center to pick it up; but sadly, they say it’s not there yet. It would take 2 days for it to arrive. I decided to pick it up Monday coz they are close on weekends. The next day I received another SMS and email from them that my application is now ready for collection around 4:14pm but no more time to get it coz they’re close already. Now I got another 2 days agony of waiting…longing for a positive result.
Finally, I got my visa after waiting for 15 days.:)
For More Inquires contact:
- Royal Danish Embassy Manila:
11th/F 11th Corporate Center,
11th Avenue corner Triangle Drive,
Bonifacio Global City,
Taguig City 1634,
- VFS Office Address Makati, Metro Manila:
Denmark Visa Application Centre,
Ground Floor, Ecoplaza Bldg.,
Don Chino Roces Ave., Makati City
- VFS Office Address Cebu City:
Denmark Visa Application Centre,
Unit 503, 5th Floor, Keppel Center, Samar Loop
cor. Cardinal Rosales Avenue
Cebu Business Park, Cebu City 6000